Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Do-gooder???

Just yesterday, I did the “check your seduction style” test that a website offered. After answering 40 inane questions (no where were they remotely related to seduction,) my seduction style was declared as Midas Touch- good at heart, do-gooder, selfless…blah blah blah.

I know it sounds boring and I need strong seduction lessons. But just while I was figuring out the site’s analysis of my intimate styles, I began to wonder if I was really what I was analysed. Yeah I want to world to be a better place, want peace to prevail, want the best even for the poor and goodness shine bright on every soul. I do things at times that, well, all right, point to the fact that I mean well.

But there are some ethereal questions that return to haunt me each time I find myself being called a do-gooder.

- Why do I feel helpless every time I see that crippled beggar in the local train? Why do I cringe when he approaches me for a penny and I am too hapless to give him any?

- The other day an old woman was sitting next to me. Her clothes were falling apart, and while crossing the Mahim creek I couldn’t distinguish between the deplorable odour of the creek and her body. Soon she lay naked and I still sat mum next to her. My mind asked me to get up and cover her up, but I couldn’t lift my hands to do it. Was I insensitive or did I not bother about the women?

- Why can’t I quit my job (there is nothing constructive I do by the way) and help people that I know need help?

- Why do I waste my Sundays, instead of volunteering in the NGO that I have been promising to help?

- Is money so important to me that I can’t give up watching expensive movies, expensive dinners, pubs and shopping?

- I have dreams to realise; not for myself but for the society I owe it to. Then why don’t I just realise them?

The problem is that I haven’t found an answer to any. Am I really a do-gooder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home