Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Heading into nothingness

I was wondering what would a Kojagiri purnima, circa 2030 be like. I would be 50-years-old; maybe I’d have a couple of kids. I would either miss the date or then try hard to think of how my mother lit the lamp and worshiped the moon. I would again try hard to remember the delicious milk and cinnamon concoction that my mother would prepare and we would drink it at midnight soon after praying to the beautifully rounded moon. I’d try and explain to my children the puja and the entire ritual. But god forbid they ask me why I perform the puja, I’d have no answer for their inquisitiveness. My mother doesn’t really know and neither do I, nor will my children ever know why.

Which, is why I feel that we all are heading into a future of nothingness, struck by a partial amnesia of the past. I like the whole thing about rituals (not to a fanatic extreme) but it gives me a sense of belonging to the community- so be it keeping Ganapati at home for 10 days or observing a few rozas or decorating a Christmas tree on December 25, I do it with utmost desire of wanting to be a part of this world.

I don’t know if many years down the line, we will be equipped to pass on to our children the traditions of the past. It almost makes me sad to think that there might be a certain junction in time, where there will be none that will know of what Kojagiri purnima or Vata purnima or Mahashivratri or any of these festivals are. I wouldn’t want the generations after mine of be blank about their past, but its something I feel might just be inevitable. We all are rushing into a world of science and technology in which, such “baseless” traditions will not have a place. I am all for science and development, and yes also don’t believe in superstition. But I know my kids would eventually ask me why I indulge in such superstitions.

So although I am dwelling too much into a future that may arrive a few generations after mine, and I am not too sure if it would arrive either, but I already feel a void of knowing too little of the traditions that include me into a commune that feels like home. I am just dreading circa 2030. I hope it never arrives or maybe we can just skip it somehow or am i just being paranoid?

10 Comments:

Blogger K said...

on similar lines, you might find this very interesting...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddhhcjwd_0frdhf4&invite=4fws98

22/6/07 10:40 pm  
Blogger Stray said...

K: Couldn't open the link, haven't been invited to open it.

23/6/07 10:38 am  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

beliefs are a way of life...it gives us asense of belonging ...im lost and i know it.I dont have the time for it and i feel that its important...but deep down i wonder whats important ? I dont think i will ever be able to give my kids a sense of priority

24/6/07 12:56 am  
Blogger Stray said...

Backpakker: Thats the whole point i feel..whether or not the kids prioritize is a different matter, but would we even have the luxury to make them see whats on the platter?

24/6/07 8:00 am  
Blogger K said...

okay...are you preranatd@gmail.com? :)

29/6/07 11:34 am  
Blogger Stray said...

K: Yeah :) Didn't want to send you that email, but was too tempted to read what was in the link. Do you have a blog? your profile says nothing.

2/7/07 12:57 am  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

I dont think they will even bother ..thats the problem

9/7/07 7:44 am  
Blogger Stray said...

Absolutely. That's what i mean when i say i dont think we would even have that "luxury" of telling them.

12/7/07 7:12 am  
Blogger K said...

i keep getting that, off late. had a travelogue, but stopped coz of too much inactivity in that dept. for too long! hope to revive it...

12/7/07 8:50 am  
Blogger Aditi..............:) said...

Well...it sure is something to ponder upon....but well...are we really so awake to the whole atmosphere ourselves??
Or we also dont care whether we know or not......i bet our grandparents know more than our parents...but do we care to ask them...??

17/3/08 3:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home